February 14th is not only Valentines Day, but also International Book Giving Day! As such, I have partnered with some wonderful author friends from around the world to give away some copies of our books, hoping to inspire you to do the same.
Give a book you enjoy or one that you think may benefit someone — to a child, a loved one, family member(s), neighbor, or friend. Donate some new or gently used books to your local library, to a local school, civic group, or to a local hospital. Leave a copy of a book in the waiting room of a doctor’s or dentist’s office, or at a homeless shelter. There are many ways to help spread the love of reading.
“Why is reading so important?” some ask. With help from the folks at WhytoRead.com, let’s count the ways . . . . . . .
- Reading Helps to Develop Verbal Abilities. Readers tend to have a larger vocabulary and more ways of expressing themselves, while also helping to avoid acting out or remedies of violence.
- Reading Improves Focus and Concentration. Sitting down with a book requires longer periods of focus and concentration, developing attention spans.
- Readers Tend to Enjoy the Arts and Work to Improve the World. Readers are more likely to visit museums, attend concerts and the like, and are more likely to volunteer and to do charity work.
- Reading Improves Imagination. Reading about new worlds and peoples and having to create the images from the written words in one’s mind as opposed to merely viewing on a screen, develops creative and imaginative abilities.
- Reading Makes You Smarter. Having books available at home has been strongly linked to improved academic performance. It’s all about learning.
- Reading Makes One Interesting and Attractive. The knowledge base and exposure to the world acquired thru reading allows one to hold their own and meaningfully contribute to conversations, as opposed to slinking off not to embarrass oneself.
- Reading Reduces Stress. In a study performed at Mindlab International at the University of Sussex, test subjects only needed to read silently to themselves for six minutes to slow down their heart rate and ease muscle tension.
- Reading Improves Your Memory. As opposed to listening to a tape or lecture, reading provides the opportunity to pause for reflection and critical thinking, which also serves to improve memory retention capabilities.
- Reading Gives Us The Opportunity to Discover and Create Ourselves. Being exposed to others’ lives, situations, feelings, opinions and perspectives allows each of us to examine our own life in the light of new knowledge and experience, learn life skills, and to develop who we really are and seek to be.
- Reading is Entertainment. Reading is fun, pure and simple. With due respect to all of the above, reading is also wonderfully Entertaining, allowing us to explore new worlds, escape for a mental vacation, and to be absorbed and immersed in a story or adventure for hours and hours. And to revisit as often as we like at no extra charge. Take “The Adventures of Little Red Bear” for example. Where else can one go on the planet to a place where the animals and humans interact as equals and share hair-raising adventures, while learning about the natural world, kindness and positivity at the same time?
So, that is why reading is truly important. We have joined together to give away a selection of both Print and eReader books. Our book giveaway runs now thru February 15th. The more actions completed, the better chance of winning a free book for yourself. Simply tap on the link below to get started.
Terms and Conditions: There is NO purchase necessary to enter or win. Winners will be randomly drawn through the Rafflecopter widget within 48 hours and notified by email once the giveaway ends. The winners will then have 72 hours to respond. If the winner(s) do not respond within 72 hours, a new winner(s) will be chosen. This giveaway is open to all who live in and outside of the US. However, as there are several sponsors of this giveaway who live both domestic and international. Print books are available only for domestic country of author origin; ebooks offered outside author’s country of origin at their discretion.
Thanks always for visiting! Please join my friends and me in supporting literacy and reading on International Book Giving Day. The world will be better for it! — Jim (and Red!)
Family Times — Together Times — The Best Times!